Information Design: Exercises


WEEK 01 (04/01/2022 - 09/01/2022)
Adena Tan Sue Lynn (0345769) / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Information Design
Exercises 01 & 02


Directory



Lecture

Week 01 (04/01/2021)

During our first lecture, Ms Anis briefed us on the Module Information Booklet (MIB). She, as well as Mr Martin informed us of what to expect for the next few weeks. They relayed information to us such as:

  • Our first exercise: Quantify Data
  • Our group project: Animated Infographics

Week 01 (06/01/2021)

Today, Ms Anis gave us an introduction to Information Visualisation.

Currently, we live in a visual information culture. It is responsible with the rise of the statistical thinking and widespread data collection for planning & commerce. 

Figure 1.1.1 Introduction to Information Visualisation, 06/01/2021.

The goal of visualising information is to present the complex information of the world in a simple way by using uncomplicated terms. Information design aims to increase more knowledge by displaying through spatial, quantitative, and chronological relationships.

Figure 1.1.2 Visualising Information Example, 06/01/2021.

Figure 1.1.3 Word Cloud Example, 06/01/2021.

The above world cloud example uses no imagery, but with the usage of colours, size, and placements of words allows for audience to find the meaning.

Figure 1.1.4  Charles Minard's 1869 chart. 


The above video explains the Charles Minard chart.

Next, Mr Martin gave us a lecture on Motion Graphics.

What is Motion Graphics?
Basically means Graphics in Movement. 

Composition + Animation = Motion Graphics

Graphics + Typography = Composition

Movement + Rhythm = Animation

Motion Graphics Design Process

  1. Write a script which tells a story.
  2. Storyboard while brainstorming the visual treatment.
  3. Take your storyboards into design.
  4. Animate the final designs.
Storyboard for Motion Graphics

Figure 1.1.5 Storyboard Example.

The sequence of sketches allow for visual references for key screens.

Pre-visualisation

Figure 1.1.6 Pre-Visualisation.

Visual Script > Breakdown of Scenes & Running Time

Creating A Moodboard

Figure 1.1.7 Moodboard.

When creating a moodboard, it is good to organise inspiration & references.

Week 01 Task

Next, we were tasked to recommend three Motion Graphics. Below are my three chosen Motion Graphics. 

For this first motion graphic, I liked how smooth the transitions between each of the visual elements. Even with the quick narration of coffee information, the visuals help the understanding of what the narrator is saying, without feeling too rushed or too slow. I also appreciate how the elements morph into one another. For example, a car being able to turn into a cup. It's visually appealing, while also capturing the attention of the audiences well, and does not bore them. 

Next, what I liked about the above motion graphic is how it utilised dots, lines and typography to create a visually interesting video which presented the ways dots could be used in motion. It also cleverly utilised the few elements given, using it to create space, mass, transformation, etc, in a clever way. In the previous semester, we were taught that dots/points were the simplest element, and this video was able to convey how they could be used to further develop your elements/design pieces. It is quick, immersive, and educational in a way you wouldn't think it would be. 

Finally, the above motion graphic isn't informational, unlike the previous two, but I like how fun this motion graphic feels. With the bright colours and simple shapes, the motion graphics feel more focused. Personally, my favourite part is 0:14-0:20. It feels like a play to the eyes and the brain, as the circles expand to have two points with a line connecting them, and then turning. It is simple, but makes looking at it feels very intriguing and fun. 



Instructions



Exercise 01: Quantify & Visualise Data

In class, we were allowed to choose between Legos or Buttons as provided by Ms Anis. I chose buttons, particularly ones that had a pinkish-purplish colour (more purple in images).

Figure 2.1.1 Buttons Chosen, 04/01/2022.

Then, I arranged them according to two factors: their size and the number of holes they held. 

Figure 2.1.2 Buttons Arranged, 04/01/2022.

Next, I tried thinking of ways to arrange them. Below is one way I tried to arrange them before time was up.

Figure 2.1.3 Buttons Arrangement, 04/01/2022.

In the next class, I tried re-arranging the buttons according to their sizes, but got different results for two types of buttons: the small two-holed buttons and the medium two-holed buttons.

Figure 2.1.4 Buttons Arranged Part II, 06/01/2022.

Finally, I drew a visualisation that I liked which I found fun, yet was able to show the data. I decided to separate the buttons by the holes first, and then the sizes, second. Above each balloon, I also wrote the quantity of buttons in the balloons. 

Final Quantify & Visualise:

Figure 2.1.5 Visualising Data, 06/01/2022.

Exercise 02: L.A.T.C.H. 

For this exercise, we were given the option to choose which type of compiled data we would use for the final output. I decided to go with Pokémon's Pokédex, following the link Ms Anis provided. 

In the website, there was an option to see the lists of Pokémon according to the games in the series. I decided to go with the Pokédex in Sword & Shield as I'm currently playing Pokémon Shield! 


Figure 2.2.1 Sword & Shield Pokédex on the Pokémon Database Screenshot, 18/01/2022.

When looking through the data, I thought of the things I wanted to find to present in the infographic. Those criterias were:

  • Pokémon found in Pokémon Shield would be more preferable, if not both games.
  • Three evolutions would also be best.
  • I did not want to present the three starter Pokémon in the game.

Below is the screenshot of 'shortlisted' Pokémon I would like to put in my infographic.

Figure 2.2.2 Screenshot of chosen Pokémon, 18/01/2022.

Upon looking at the chosen six, I found that all the Pokémon except Rookidee could be found in the West Lake Axewell. 

Then, I arranged the information according to the L.A.T.C.H. arrangement. 

  • Location: West Lake Axewell in the Galar Region (Pokémon Sword & Shield)
  • Alphabet: -
  • Time: - 
  • Category: Pokémon Types (Grass, Ice, Water, etc)
  • Hierarchy: Showing the evolutions of each Pokémon.

Following that, I looked again at the examples provided by Ms Anis.

Figure 2.2.3 Examples of Pokémon L.A.T.C.H. Infographics

After this, I proceeded to check Pinterest for more inspiration other than what was provided by Ms Anis. I found two which I found very interesting. 

Figure 2.2.4 & 2.2.5 Game Infographics found on Pinterest.

I knew I wanted to try and incorporate ideas from the example Ms Anis gave as well as the Mario infographic which I found on Pinterest. I decided to combine it by having the Pokéball be visualised above a Nintendo Switch (the console required to play Pokémon Sword & Shield). I wanted the Pokéball to visualise the area of the West Lake Axewell.

Firstly, I decided to look into the game and see how West Lake Axewell looked like. Below are my screenshots of the game.

Figure 2.2.6 Map (West Lake Axewell is situated where the Smiley Emoticon is)

Figure 2.2.7 & 2.2.8 West Lake Axewell

After that, I started sketching my plan.

Figure 2.2.9 Rough Sketch of Layout

After that, I started to outline it. 

Figure 2.2.10 L.A.T.C.H. Infographic Outline

For the logo, I decided to use the Pokémon Shield Version, as I could not find any official combination of the two. 

Figure 2.2.11 Pokémon Shield Logo.

After establishing my outline, I decided to input my chosen Pokémon into the circles. However, during that process, I found the Nintendo Switch to look a bit overpowering compared to the rest of the graphics. With that, I got rid of it. 

Figure 2.2.12 L.A.T.C.H. Infographic Outline II

Proceeding on, I started to lay out flat colours as well as create the logos for the Pokémon types. My reference was the image below. 

Figure 2.2.13 Pokémon Type Chart

Below is the progress I had sent to Ms Anis for feedback.

Figure 2.2.14 L.A.T.C.H. Infographic Progress

After receiving feedback from Ms Anis, I decided to look for a reference for the redo of the water icon.


Figure 2.2.15 Pokémon Type Chart

With that, I fixed Water & Steel's logos. I also shaded the land an added some details & the Pokémons' names. The typeface I used is Dogica.

Figure 2.2.16 Colouring Progression

Finally, I added the title as well as the information categories below. I also added the source.

Figure 2.2.17 Adding Information Categories.

Final Submission:
Figure 2.2.18 Final Submission: L.A.T.C.H. Exercise


Feedback

20/01/2022 [Thursday] 

Ms Anis said the layout is good but the icons I used for the Water Pokémon type could be clearer!


Reflection

Overall, these exercises have been proven to be helpful for me to learn about about the basic of infographics. Without them, I think I would be super lost in the future when making infographics, so these exercises have really taught me how to present information properly, while also making it visually appealing. 


References & Picture Credits

Figure 1.1.1 - Figure 1.1.4 - Screenshotted from Ms Anis' Intro to Visual Design Slides.
Figure 1.1.5 - Figure 1.1.7 - Screenshotted from Mr Martin's Information Design Wk1 Slides.
Figure 2.2.1 - Screenshot from https://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/sword-shield
Figure 2.2.2 - Screenshot from Discord.
Figure 2.2.3 - Screenshot from Exercises and project Details Slides.
Figure 2.2.4 - Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/766667536575876796/
Figure 2.2.5 - Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/766667536575876796/
Figure 2.2.6 - 2.2.7 - Screenshot from Pokémon Shield. 



Popular Posts