Design Principles: Final Project


02/11/2021 - 25/11/2021 (Week 11 - Week 14)
Adena Tan Sue Lynn / 0345769 / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Design Principles
Final Project: Visual Analysis 

Directory


Lecture

Visual Literacy: Set of abilities that enables an individual to find interpret, evaluate, use, create. Interdisciplinary concept and plays an important role in studies in various fields. Essential in this media-rich environment.

The ability to take images, find photos & post visual content doesn't mean the ability to study and interpret those images is present. 

Visual Analysis

  • A method of understanding design that focuses on visual elements & principles
  • A description & explanation of visual structure for its own sake.
  • Also recognizes the choices a designer had made in creating the design. Allows to better understand the formal properties of a design communicates ideas, content or meaning.
  • A critical part of visual literacy. Helps people read and interpret images critically, no matter where it is.
  • Sharpens critical judgement skills & helps people seek out the truth instead of passively receiving them.

Three phases of visual analysis.

1. Observation

  • Closely looking at and identifying the design. 
  • Describe them carefully & accurately in your own words.
  • Do not read about design beforehand.
  • Observation phase is about looking, thinking & finding a good language for the analysis.
  • Do not assume that we know about subject matter or design.
Figure 1.1.1 Dr Jinchi's example of Observation

2. Analysis

  • Requires us to think about observations
  • Makes statements about the work with the evidence of the observations
  • Think about the specific visual elements that was identified as a combined whole, and the effect it has to an audience.
  • How is the eye led through the work? Why is it so? It is important to apply the Design Principles learnt throughout this class. 
  • Systematically writing is a bonus.
Figure 1.1.2 Dr Jinchi's example of Analysis

3. Interpretation

  • Final phase
  • Observations, description & analysis are fused with facts about the design (& sometimes, the designer) and historical context that is found in trustworthy published sources.
  • What is the meaning of the design? What was the purpose for it to be created?
  • Try to relate its style to a similar style (Good to use a reference)
Figure 1.1.3 Dr Jinchi's example of Interpretation


Instructions


Description: Utilize your understanding of design principles found in the design work. This project requires assessments, investigations, documentation & analyse of a design material of choice. 

Visual Analysis

When trying to find my desired design to analyse, the journey took quite some time. I looked at many through Pinterest, and even looked at some from my current favourite artists. However, with hours of scrolling, I went back to something I had saved on Pinterest a while ago. Below is the one I deemed to be the chosen one. 

Figure 2.1.1 Chosen Design Piece 

Phase 01: Observation

This piece was created using a portrait mode which frames a bakery stall. On first sight, the piece seems like a welcoming piece, full of bright colours and shiny-looking baked goods. However, on a close look, the left side of the design is brighter, with its' usage of warmer colours such as yellow and yellow-green, whereas the right side is the opposite as it feels more cold, especially with it's darker tones and usage of cooler colours like purple and dark blues. The warmer side holds the light of the design whereas the right holds the shadows. The colours allows one's eyes to be drawn to the baked goods, and travel to the tanuki (Japanese raccoon dog) in the window. It feels like the eyeballs are able to be tossed around by each visual element of this piece. However, it still manages to create a warm feeling in the viewer's heart. 

Phase 02: Analysis

This design uses the Rule of Thirds well. The right vertical line falls upon the tanuki's eye which is the Emphasis of this design piece. The Rule of thirds also allows for the sign board with the Symbol of the Animal Crossing leaf (above the tanuki's head) to be seen more easily, which further allows an audience to tell which franchise this tanuki is from. Even though it is in the dark, colours were used strategically to allow for such emphasis to occur. With the warm highlights on its' forehead and eyes, it creates a Contrast of colours, which further draws viewers in and captures their attention. Besides that, Harmony is evident in this design. The baked goods, the warm weather and the dark shadows of the shop, provides a certain nostalgic aesthetic and mood which fits together harmoniously. There is also clear variety, whether it be in the baked goods, the signs, or even the windows which refrains the design from being monotonous.

Phase 03: Interpretation

This design was done by Sylvia Lian (@crylica on Twitter), and posted on 8th of May 2020. In her website, she states that she enjoys creating organic environments that hold life & energy. This overall design reminds me of tiny alleyway markets as they usually have their products on the very most front of the stall, and have all their materials at the back which utilizes the space to the best of its' abilities. The character used also plays an important role. Animal Crossing: New Horizons was released about two months before this design was posted. This probably meant this designer had the specific tanuki in mind when creating. Animal Crossing is also known to be a very calming game, which has been instilled in this design, with the soothing mood it brings. On a closer look, the lines look rough and have texture, which makes this digital piece feel more hand-drawn. Overall, it feels very nostalgic, and reminds me of a warm morning, with a slight breeze. It feels very welcoming. 

Sketching

After analyzing the piece by Sylvia Lian, I knew I wanted to try and capture something in my piece; the warm, fuzzy feeling which came alongside her design. I tried thinking of some things or daily occurrences, in which explain why I personally have that exact feeling.

  • Eating breakfast/brunch with my mother! Whether it be in a dainty little cafe, in a kopitiam, or even at home, a simple meal with her brings me so much happiness.
  • Biting into warm pastries! I am a big fan of fresh baked goods and that was probably why the design struck a chord within me. (Also, this is why I probably couldn't last a day on the keto diet.)
  • Playing Animal Crossing! I remember I used to play Animal Crossing: Wild World whenever I could when I was young. Now, I am nineteen and play the New Horizons version. It's followed me since young.
  • Sunshine... I may be locked in my dark, cold room right as I am typing this, but sunshine always tends to lift the mood somehow. 

Below are the two sketches I did:

Figure 2.2.1 Sketch 01.

For the above sketch, I imagined for a family in the kitchen/dining room, but they're having a meal together. It's a common thing within families, but it brings such a pure and innocent joy of just eating a simple meal with your family as many families don't do this anymore due to their hectic lives. 


Figure 2.2.2 Sketch 02. 

The above one, I thought of the kopitiam scene, but it didn't provoke as much emotion from the idea as much as the first one. It reminded me of just sitting down in the kopitiam, hearing all the uncles and aunties communicate with each other. However, it didn't spark as much nostalgia as the first one did.


Thus, I have chosen the first sketch due to the fact I thought it gave a pure small touch of happiness, which can bloom depending on who's viewing it. Maybe someone who looks at it could feel touched because they miss having daily dinners with their family, maybe someone who looks at it can be grateful as they do experience a meal with their family everyday. It's different from everyone, but just a simple meal with your loved ones can evoke a sense of contentedness within oneself. 

Outlining

First, I worked on the below outline. However, I felt like it looked super weird as I felt like something was wrong, like the perspective wasn't done properly...

2.3.1 Failed Counter Outline

Thus, I created the below outline. I felt like this utilized the space better (especially on the walls). I also input lines to create a table to give myself an idea of what would be there. 

Figure 2.3.2 Improved Counter Outline

I have a plan, but same like Sylvia's artwork, I thought of making it using Animal Crossing characters too... but, I'm considering which brother-sister pairing I'd prefer to use!

Figure 2.3.3 & 2.3.4 Animal Crossing's Isabelle & Digby

Figure 2.3.5 & 2.3.6 Animal Crossing's Blathers & Celeste
Photos from Animal Crossing Wiki

At first, I thought of just using Blathers & Celeste as I love their character design! (That, and also because I've seen Celeste & Blathers more, which has solidified them in my memory). However, after receiving feedback from Dr Charles, I agreed that it would be best to include all four characters to offer a sense of variety within the bunch!

With that, I started outlining the characters I planned to use for this piece.

Figure 2.3.7 Adding Characters

After that, I input the simple colours to ensure to further try and envision the kitchen, as I struggled a little with it.

Figure 2.3.8 Adding flat colours

For the below, I added the food onto the table as well as added some things in the background, such as a sink, mini notes, a kettle and a paper bag. 

Figure 2.3.9 Adding kitchen items

Reasons as to why certain items were added

  • Kettle: Inspired by Animal Crossing's Brewster Gyroid! It's a new addition to the current game, which bubbled my excitement to add it.
  • To-Do List: To show that characters indeed have things on their plate, but decided to take time out of their day to have a meal together!
  • Paper bag: I love the idea of them taking any leftovers to work, thus the paper bag idea.
  • Onigiri & Dango: As Animal Crossing originates from Japan, it felt fitting to include them!
  • Other foods were placed at random, but they are indeed food I enjoy and love.
Then, I rendered the characters.
Figure 2.3.10 Rendering characters

After that, I decided to render the food as well. 

Figure 2.3.11 Rendering items

Then, I added the scenery in the window. In the below version, I also added the lines to show myself where I wanted to input the lighting later on.

Figure 2.3.12 Adding Scenery

Next, I changed the colour of the outline to match the colours. I also added some more shadows with the light plan.

Figure 2.3.13 Changing Outline Colour

Finally, I added the light. For this, I used two layers. One using "Soft Light" blend, and another using "Divide". 

Figure 2.3.14 Adding Lighting

Final Submission:

Figure 2.4.1 Final Submission: Visual Analysis - JPEG, 26/11/2021

Figure 2.4.2 Final Submission: Visual Analysis - PDF 26/11/2021

Pure Joy.

Rationale:

Pure joy shows two brother-sister pairings from the Animal Crossing franchise having a meal together in the kitchen. Despite their hectic schedules, they managed to meet together to have a meal before they start their day. In creating this piece, I was eager to showcase a family gathered around to have a meal together. It is a common occurrence within families, but a sense of pure & innocent joy can stem from just sitting next to each other and talking while having a warm meal. Some families do not even get to spend this short time with their loved ones, due to the fast-paced and busy work environment, leaving their family members to have meals separately. I hope for a warm sense of love and nostalgia for those who view this piece, as they remember their families. Maybe, for them to give them a call, just to say that they love and miss them. Family might be far, but in your heart, they've never left.



Feedback

09/10/2021

Analysis is okay, better to relate it to how you feel about the design as it makes it more personal. 

16/10/2021

Has a sense of historical nostalgia. Would be good to reflect on our own experiences and travel back in time with this piece. For the characters, it would be good to include all of them as it's more lively to see more as the dining table. Look into the point-of-view, maybe isometric? Examine the views in the right and the full. Emphasize more in unity and harmony, and maintain the sense of movement with the lines.



Reflection

Overall, this project gave me the most feelings as I did it. As I haven't seen any of my aunties, uncles or cousins since early 2020, it felt heartbreaking to realize I haven't had a proper meal with them. With just my mother and my grandmother in this house, it made me remember the moments when my aunt from Australia would come visit for a month, and how lively the house would me. Now, it's much quieter in comparison, and the lights in the dining room aren't as bright as they used to be. 

Besides my internal personal reflection, I'm also grateful to have done this project as now, I feel like I know better about analyzing different types of designs, and be able to create something that could be a response to it. With this, I also managed to force myself to think more about how lighting flows, as usually I don't think so much and just do whatever looks good. I had fun creating this piece, as Animal Crossing has been such a big part of my life since I got the Nintendo DS, until now with my Nintendo Switch. It made me feel young again, nostalgia seeping through my veins.


Popular Posts