Illustration and Visual Narrative: Task 01


26/08/2021 - 24/09/2021 (Week 01 - Week 05)
Adena Tan Sue Lynn / 0345769 / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Illustration and Visual Narrative
Exercises



Lectures

Week 01 (26/08/2021)

Illustration and Visual Narrative's Ms Noranis and Ms Jennifer welcomed us and introduced what we were to expect of the next few weeks. We looked at the Module Information (MI) and were relayed information such as:
  • Our first exercise: The Vormator Challenge
  • The theme of our Web toon: Horror
  • Programs we will be using for class: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Animate & Adobe Photoshop
We were also quickly briefed on all of the tasks to be expected in this class. It was extremely helpful to be informed on these early on.

Week 02 (02/09/2021)

Today, Ms Noranis introduced us to character design and shared a few insightful information on creating outstanding characters.

Firstly, we were asked what are our favourite characters and to identify the characteristics that make them so appealing. Quickly, I thought about it and thought of Denimalz! To me, they are very cute despite their simple design. 

Figure 1.1 Denimalz in Day6 (Even of Day)'s Where the sea sleeps music video, 31 August 2020.

Stylized Designs make a character stand out!

  • Iconic characters 
  • Easily created
  • Profitable
Looking at these, I tried to relate it back to Denimalz and see why I might like them as much as I do. 

a) Iconic Characters
Denimalz were based on Day6, a South Korean band. Each of them represents a member, which I assume leads to iconic character designs. For example, Young K's character 케 (Ke) is meant to represent him! Many of my friends say that his character resembles him the most among the five, with his eyeshape and smile. Maybe that's why Ke is my favourite.

Figure 1.2 Young K & Ke, August 2021.

b) Easily Created
On first look, the Denimalz characters have a very simplistic and lovable look to them. However, their design is easily tells an audience which character is which, and allows for easy recreation and distinction of each character. 

Figure 1.3 Denimalz, June 2018.

c) Profitable
Denimalz actually have dolls which are sold every few months when Day6 have a comeback. For each comeback, clothing for these dolls will also be sold according to the comeback's theme. This brings excitement for each comeback, and is highly profitable. Besides that, the Denimalz have several versions of the dolls as well as other types of merchandise (keychains, pin buttons, sleep masks & more) which further encourage purchasing. 

Figure 1.4 Denimalz versions, June 2020.

Figure 1.5 Denimalz Merchandise List for The Book of Us: The Demon, May 2020.

Principles of Character Design

a) Shapes
  • Define a silhouette which can create an iconic look
  • Exploration of interesting shapes can bring intriguing designs
Figure 1.6  Shape in the design of Aladdin's characters

b) Colour
  • Determines hero & protagonist
  • Has qualities that can cause certain emotions in people

Left: Figure 1.7 Animal Crossing's Isabelle
Right: Figure 1.8 Animal Crossing's Hopper

c) Emphasis & Contrast
  • Picking a visual element in a character and exaggerating it makes a character outstanding & memorable
  • Occasionally, using cultural elements and adding it to a design makes it uniquely authentic
Figure 1.9 Mulan's Mushu expressions

d) Harmony
  • Elements must be put together in a tasteful manner
  • Visual Hierarchy with balancing visual elements
Figure 1.10 Monster Prom's characters

e) Expressions & Poses
  • Behaviour/expression/personality visually shown allows for audiences to fall in love with characters
Figure 1.11 Haikyuu's Bokuto expressions

Week 03 (09/09/2021)

On this fine day, we were bestowed upon the knowledge of Composition. It allows for us to analyse visual hierarchy.

To understand good composition, it is important for us to identify types of shots/compositions. With this, I tried to try and match the types with scenes in media I have watched before.

Establishing = Wide 

Figure 1.12 Harry Potter

Bird's Eyeview = Looking down

1.13 Umbrella Academy, 2019

"Framing" = Framed specifically

Figure 1.14 Pride & Prejudice, 2005


Medium Shot = Middle

Figure 1.15 Sex Education, 2019

Close Up

Figure 1.16 The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion, 2018

Worm's Eyeview = From ground, more personal

Figure 1.17 Umbrella Academy, 2019

Positive vs Negative

Balanced distribution is important. Positive (+) is focus, Negative (-) is non-focus

Week 04 (17/09/2021)

Compostion

Perspective

  • Allows for art to have form & volume
  • Has buildings receding into the distance
  • Light & shadows play an important role
With weird perspectives, paintings can look
  • lowkey dorky
  • uneven
Figure 1.17 Dorky Perspectives in Paintings before 14th Century

Definition of Perspective in Art
  • Creates depth
  • An Illusion
  • A representation of objects (Creates 3D optical illusions from a 2D surface)
Types of Perspectives
  • 1 Point
  • 2 Point
  • 3 Point
  • 4-5 Points (Fisheye)

Week 05 (23/09/2021)

Chiaroscuro

Figure 1.18 Chiaroscuro in comics

Definition: The usage of light & dark to create the illusion of 3D volume on a flat surface.

Used to:

  • Increase dramatic tension
  • Create sensational effects
  • Pull attention to subject intensely
  • Create tasteful compositions of negative vs positive spaces
  • Studies form and value practice


Instructions



Exercise 01: Vormator Challenge


To start, I decided to sketch some ideas. As I couldn't think on making a character just by looking at the shapes, I started sketching characters that came to mind. My main ideas were animal hybrids, and weird names. Crocospy-der was based on a crocodile & spider, but my brain couldn't help but input a pun in there, making him a spy. Next, BCCat, who was meant to just be a cat with wings, got her name as I was stressed with e-mails, and I wanted someone so badly to help sort out my cluttered mind. Next, was Ham(bur)ger, who is a mix between a tiger and a hamster. They're a hamburger patty because my brain couldn't think of how to combine the two animals. Next, was not the most creative, but it was a noodle bunny! I was very hungry when I was sketching and it may have transferred onto my imagery. Finally, the character in the middle was based of a flower when turned upside down.

Figure 2.1.1 Character Sketches, 01/09/2021

After getting Ms Anis & Ms Jennifer's feedback on the sketches, I knew I wanted to choose the BCCat as my character. To me, she was so cute to look at, and the sketch of her replying to emails on the bottom right made me giggle. She is my chosen one.

First, I decided to make the Vormator shapes in Illustrator. Before starting, I made sure I obtained the correct file of the shapes. Below is what was provided through TIMeS. 

Figure 2.1.2 Vormator Shapes

Next, I traced over the shapes using the pen tool. I followed Ms Jennifer's method which she showed in class, which was to draw half of shapes like the Zerk & the Drop and combine them later.

Figure 2.1.3 Tracing of Vormator Shapes, 08/09/2021

To get used to making images with the shapes, I decided to start with making BCCat's eyes. Firstly, I started with the 'sparkle' in her eyes. I mainly used 'the Drop' as I thought it made a nice sharp edge.

Figure 2.1.4 & 2.1.5 Making the 'Sparkle', 08/09/2021

After that, I continued making the eye. I included shapes like the Wurst, the Zerk, the Tentacle & the Bar. Doing this also taught me how I could 'erase' certain parts of the shapes by placing other objects over them to create a smoother line.

Figure 2.1.6 & 2.1.7 Making BCCat's eye, 08/09/2021

Below was the result of BCCat's eye which I was satisfied with.

Figure 2.1.8 BCCat's Eyes, 08/09/2021

Next, I proceeded to do BCCat's head. For this, I mainly used the Bar, the Badge, the Zerk and the Wurst.

Figure 2.1.9 & 2.1.10 BCCat's head, 08/09/2021

For her whiskers, I combined multiple Zerks. I used the reflect option for the ends to ensure it was rounded.


Figure 2.1.11 & 2.1.12 BCCat's Whiskers, 08/09/2021

After doing the head, I decided to do the body. As I wasn't sure of the proportions, I closely followed my sketch, to ensure I didn't mess her body up.

Figure 2.1.13 & 2.1.14 BCCat's body, 08/09/2021

Next, I did her legs. I reused her whiskers for her legs, and added the Wurst & the Zerk together to create her feet.

Figure 2.1.15 & 2.1.16 BCCat's legs, 08/09/2021

Finally, I added some details, like a small patch in the middle of her body as well as some "waves" on her wings.


Figure 2.1.17 & 2.1.18 BCCat's body details, 08/09/2021

Below was my first tryout of BCCat.

Figure 2.1.19 BCCat Version 01, 08/09/2021

However, even though I had such a soft heart for this version, it wasn't my favourite. This was because of the messy layout of the shapes which made some parts look jagged. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the wing details, and I knew I had to attempt making another version of her.

To start off, I started with the head, and I was already somewhat satisfied with the shape, I just needed to clean up some parts. Besides adjusting the curve on her face, I also made it wider, to make her chubbier. I also adjusted the size of her eyes, to have somewhat of a perspective that the right side of her (her left) is facing the viewer.

Figure 2.1.20 & 2.1.21 BCCat's body details, 14/09/2021

Not only that, I also added some blush and her ears. It gave a cuter look, which I liked. For the blush, I used the Wurst & replicated it to extend to make it a bit longer without disrupting the original Vormator shapes.

Figure 2.1.22 & 2.1.23 BCCat's blush making, 14/09/2021

Next, I redid her body. As I wanted to make it more simplified, I tried focusing on her wings, which allowed me to focus more on making her overall shape smoother.

Figure 2.1.24 The start of BCCat's wing, 14/09/2021

Then, I duplicated it on the left side. Then, I made the body & reused some of Version 1's features, such as her feet & her belly detail.

Figure 2.1.25 & 2.1.26 BCCat Version 02, 14/09/2021

However, I remembered Ms Anis & Ms Jennifer's suggestion to make her more 'lively' and decided it would be best to change her colour palette. I opted for a more pink look, to make her look even sweeter.

Figure 2.1.26 BCCat with different colour palette, 14/09/2021

Then, I started adding her 'wing' details. I used the Drop and then added another Drop on top, to make it more of a curved line. 

Figure 2.1.27 BCCat Wing Detail, 14/09/2021

After that, I started playing with the Gradients. Something really important I used was the Pathfinder tool which allowed me to properly place gradients how I wanted to without them looking weird. I think the Gradient tool is my favourite thing in Adobe Illustrator.

Figure 2.1.28 BCCat Version 3, 14/09/2021


Exercise 02: Game Card

Before starting, I decided to look at some Game Cards to gain some inspiration. Below were some of my favourites.

Figure 2.2.1 Critical Role Card

Figure 2.2.2 Dom2D

Figure 2.2.3 God's Cards Back

Next, I decided to sketch the back of the card. Since BCCat's special trait is that she's great at emails, I thought of incorporating laptops, wifi & computer mouses.

Figure 2.2.4 Sketch of back of card, 14/09/2021.

Satisfied with my sketch, I decided to go into Adobe Illustrator to start on the card. Below was the screenshot of my flat layout during Class tutorial. 

Figure 2.2.5 Flat layout of Game Card, 23/09/2021

After tutorial, I decided to once again play with the gradient of the background as well as the laptop. I also ended up giving my wifi symbol a 'shadow'. Also, I edited the copy text of BCCat's stats to make it sound and look nicer.

Figure 2.2.6 Screenshot of progress, 24/09/2021

Continuing to look at the card, I decided to get rid of the Computer Mouse corners as they looked really messy and out of place. Not only that, I edited the text's typeface into Omnes. I think it gave a more playful look to the card & allowed it to be easy readable. I also decided to fully embrace the 'false' border which is shown in the previous screenshot by making the front card have a 'false' border too.

Figure 2.2.7 Screenshot of progress, 24/09/2021

Finally, I added the name of the Game Card. At first, I wasn't sure of what to name it, but I quickly realized it was good to call it "Office Buddies". Office Buddies related to the e-mail concept BCCat has, and would make sense with the 'Boss HP'.

Figure 2.2.8 Office Buddies, 24/09/2021

With that, I was finished with my card.


Figure 2.2.9 & 2.2.10 Game Card, 24/09/2021

Final Submission
Exercise 01: Vormator Character
Figure 2.3.1 BCCat

Exercise 02: Game Card


Figure 2.3.2 & 2.3.3 BCCat Game Gard



Feedback
Week 02 (02/09/2021): My sketches were good, BCCat & Ham(bur)ger being the favourites among Ms Anis & Ms Jennifer! I was advised to remember to use the Vormator shapes.

Week 03 (09/09/2021): I was advised to make my Vormator character more 'appealing' as she seemed to be a bit monotonous. It was suggested to add a flower or a bell to her character.

Week 05 (23/09/2021): The computer mouses were to be better if line weight was better balanced. Next, the layout of the copy text could be improved to fit the card better. Finally, the laptop shouldn't have the overlap the tangent. It would be better to have breathing space.


Reflection

I'm grateful to have been given this exercise. The Vormator challenge has taught me so much about Adobe and how to create a character I'm really happy with. I also never knew half of the features before I started this exercise. Not only that, the Game Card exercise allowed me to learn more about composition and layout which I'm sure will be tremendously helpful in the future. Overall, I'm incredibly pleased with this task, and am looking forward to learning even more.


References

Picture Credits
Figure 1.1 - DAY6 (Even of Day) "Where the sea sleeps(파도가 끝나는 곳까지)" M/V. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NmzMzjoJyk
Figure 1.2 - Twitter (@forday6). Retrieved from https://twitter.com/fordaysix/status/1431140964303704064
Figure 1.3 - Twitter (@D6Haru). Retrieved from https://twitter.com/d6haru/status/1008856100077166593
Figure 1.4 - Twitter (@myvitaminjae). Retrieved from https://twitter.com/myvitaminjae/status/1267403127113711617
Figure 1.5 - Twitter (@day6official). Retrieved from https://twitter.com/day6official/status/1266202743892348928
Figure 1.6 - Animator Island. Retrieved from https://www.animatorisland.com/character-design-practice-shapes/
Figure 1.7-1.8 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons character art. Retrieved from https://nintendoeverything.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-massive-amount-of-character-art/
Figure 1.11 - Bokuto's Expressions. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/720364902892439994/
Figure 1.12 - 1.17 - From the television shows and movies in each screencap's description
Figure 2.2.2 - 

Popular Posts