Digital Photography & Imaging: Week 05


WEEK 05 (20/09/2021)
Adena Tan Sue Lynn (0345769)
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Digital Photography & Imaging 


Lecture

Conceptual Poster Design

Poster

  •  A conventional medium to convey information to a target audience.
  • Can be cluttered or straightforward.
  • To avoid confusing viewers, refrain from using too many colours, fonts, images & animated figures.
  • Can generate awareness on an issue.
When brainstorming for a poster, ask yourself these few questions:
  • Is it a poster for brand awareness?
  • Is it an advertising poster?
  • Is it a Public Service Announcement Poster?

Creative Posters is made up of four key structures:

  • Title
  • Graphics
  • Text
  • White Space

However, layout, flow & colours affect the overall order & style of the above mentioned key features.

Title: Descriptive indicator of the contents of the poster.

Figure 1.1.1 Title

Text: Clearly describe the message. However, it shouldn't be overloaded.

Figure 1.1.2 Text

Graphic (photo): Must appear in context with the main text. Higher resolution pictures (300dpi+) should be used. 

Figure 1.1.3 Graphic

White Space: Breathing room. Helps viewers to avoid feeling overwhelmed by the information presented.

Figure 1.1.4 White Space

Layout: There are many design layouts. For this project, a graphics-centred layout is suggested.

Figure 1.1.5 Layout

Flow: Coordinates with how the audience's eyes move around the different parts of the poster. It is important to maintain hierarchy when displaying your image.

Figure 1.1.6 Flow

Colour: Draws the viewer's gaze and defines different sections of the poster.

Figure 1.1.7 Colour


Practical

Hearst Mansion (Shazam)

First, I watched the video provided to learn how to edit the photo. Keeping the notes in mind, I started editing the Shazam version.

I started by cropping Shazam.

Figure 2.1.1 Cropping Shazam

After that, I pasted Shazam into the Hearst Mansion photo. I made sure to use the Shift button while transforming so that Shazam wouldn't look weird.

Figure 2.1.2 Using transform tool

Then, I used the 'Match Colour' option which allowed for Shazam to blend in better.

Figure 2.1.2 Match Colour tool

After that, I added a shadow behind Shazam, to make him more believable.

Figure 2.1.3 Adding Shadows

After that, I duplicated the Shazam layer and reflected it so that it would be upside down.

Figure 2.1.4 Reflecting

Finally, I added a blur and colour corrected the photo. 

Figure 2.1.5 Blur & colour corrected reflection

Final Result:

Figure 2.1.6 Final Result: Shazam 

Hearst Mansion (My reflection)

Then, I started getting ready for my version. Firstly, I took some photos of myself. Below was my chosen one.

Figure 2.2.1 My photo

Then, I started cropping it in Photoshop. 

Figure 2.2.2 My cropped photo

Next, I transformed myself into the Hearst Mansion picture. I had flipped myself as I thought it would look more suitable. 

Figure 2.2.3 Transforming

After that, I added a shadow & matched the colour to the photo. Then, I reflected myself & edited it according to how I did the Shazam version. I also remembered to blur my reflection. 

Figure 2.2.4 Additions

Figure 2.2.5 Adding blur to reflection

Final Result:

Figure 2.2.6 Final Result: My Reflection

Popular Posts