Digital Photography & Imaging: Week 01


WEEK 01 (23/08/2021)
Adena Tan Sue Lynn (0345769)
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Digital Photography & Imaging


LECTURES

To start off with this module, Mr Fauzi introduced the class and shared two simple, but crucial topics.

The Importance of Photoshop

  1. Expression of one's creativity
  2. Creation of graphic design
  3. Restoration of old images
  4. Artistic integration of graphics with text
  5. Making use of brushes
  6. Change of a photo's colour
  7. Rectification of mistakes in photographs

Top 10 Tips of a Successful Graphic Designer
  1. Follow tutorials
  2. Experiment
  3. Memorize keyboard shortcuts
  4. Try to replicate other's work
  5. Participate in design competitions
  6. Subscribe to online galleries
  7. Smart objects for smart designers
  8. Scaling artwork & proportions
  9. Use actions to personalize work
  10. Organize files neatly
Mr Fauzi recommended us some cameras and tools for our Digital Photography & Imaging journey. Besides that, he showed us the works of previous students. I was in awe by the visuals. I knew then, I was super excited for this class and what it had to offer.


INSTRUCTIONS



Practical

1. Bezier Game

As someone who hasn't mastered the Pen tool, the Bezier Game was extremely educational while still being really fun. The first time I tried it to familiarize myself with the controls, I was frustrated. I didn't really understand how the controls worked and when to use the Alt key. However, I sat myself down one afternoon and forced myself to try and complete the game in one go. The second time I played was tremendously enjoyable and I realized the true power of something that seems simple, yet complex. The Bezier Game is a game where the more you play, the more you uncover and find easier ways to complete the outline. It proved to be an exciting brain challenge in the end! I completed all levels with 33 nodes to spare.

Figure 1.1 Bezier Game score


 2. Create your E-Portfolio blog

Welcome to my blog! I haven't used Blogger since I was in primary school, so I spent a few hours playing around with the settings and layout. For my blog icon, I decided to use one of my drawings I previously did based on Ke, a Denimalz character.

Figure 1.2 Blog icon

 

3. Register Pinterest & Behance

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/tofukyn/digital-photography-imaging/ 

Figure 1.4 Behance moodboard
 

4.List down your 3 favourite graphic design works from Pinterest. Explain why you like the designs.

Design 01: 
Figure 1.5 Plant-Based Food Magazine Cover by Katsy Garcia. 12/07/2020.

"Personally, this piece was so eye-catching as I scrolled through Pinterest. The usage of brighter colours like red and yellow in comparison to the darker more muted greens and purples was very intriguing to take in. Besides that, the vegetables, fruits as well as the brown bowl which are floating have a sketch-like feel to them, with the rough textures (as seen in the leaves and the bowl). It matches the background which from far away, appears to be a flat. Closer inspection would reveal texture on the cover. These two together brings a fun element into the design. Besides that, the floating fruits and vegetables fill up the space wisely as opposed to if the designer were to fit everything into the bowl. Overall, this magazine cover is lively and provides an organic feeling to the design."


Design 02:
Figure 1.6 Stray Kids' Hyunjin slogan design by Spring Gin Sour. 20/02/2020

"There are many things which draw me to this poster. Firstly, is the slogan design itself. The design of the slogan is tremendously bright and pleasing to look at. 현진 (Hyunjin)'s name is tremendously bold and is more saturated than the other colours in the slogan, which allows for a more eye-catching experience. I like how his name is surrounded by a border, which further draws your attention to it. Not only that, I like how the slogan looks to be transformed onto the poster so that buyers can get a glimpse of how it'd look like when it arrives (as slogans are usually printed onto cloth). As for the poster, it has less elements around the slogan to make it easier to view. All in all, the poster is bright and refreshing to look at."


Design 03:

Figure 1.7 Niu Beer packaging by NiceLab Studio, 11/12/2020.

"Compared to other beer posters, the above poster is more aesthetically pleasing to me. The poster to promote the Niu Beer feels soft due to the pastel pink and the rounded icons used throughout the poster. The words and icons surrounding the cans take up space nicely and frames the cans.  Next, the words are black, a contrast to the light pink, which makes the words easy for viewers to read. Not only that, but the words are strategically placed for easy reading. It's a welcoming poster which provided me with a feeling of intrigue, even though I do not consume beer."



FEEDBACK

01/09/2021 (Wednesday) - Mr Fauzi left a private comment on my Google Classroom submission. It read, "That's a good start. Good job Adena. I like your blog layout too. Keep up a good work!"

Popular Posts