Packaging & Merchandising Design: Project 01


WEEK 06 - WEEK 09 (05/10/2022 - 28/10/2022)
Adena Tan Sue Lynn (0345769) / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Packaging & Merchandising Design
Project 01


DIRECTORY


LECTURES

Week 07 - 12/10/2022

Point of Purchase Display (P.O.P. Display)

  • Attracts the audience
  • More efficient in making sales
  • A well designed one can separate a product from its competitors & serve as direct advertisements
Shelf-Talker P.O.P. 
  • Small signs that attach to a retail shelf ledge. Most commonly utilised with data strips, but can be implemented without them.
Figure 1.1.1 Shelf Talker P.O.P

Wobbler

  • Tags that stick out, grabbing consumer's attentions better.
Figure 1.1.2 Wobbler
High-Back Countertop

Figure 1.1.3 High-Back Countertop

Tall-Back Floor-Standing P.O.P

Figure 1.1.4 Tall-Back Floor-Standing P.O.P

Window Displays

  • Excites people to enter a shop
Figure 1.1.5 Window Displays

Floor Sticker

  • Rarely used, but very effective
Figure 1.1.6 Floor Sticker


INSTRUCTIONS

To plan my work, I created slides. Below slides contain all my thought processes & inspiration, unedited, which is why it seems to jump all over the place. 

Initially, I wanted to carry out slides for the environment, but as Mr Shamsul's feedback, I decided to focus on SunBears as I really loved bears since I was a kid who would visit the zoos often. 

First, I purchased the McDonald's packaging as I wanted to learn how they had folded and established the shape of the box. 


After I had established my concept + facts, I decided to sketch the elements which I would require to create my packaging.



Figures 2.1.3 - 2.1.5 Sketches of Elements

Then, I moved to Adobe Illustrator to make my elements come to life. For this, I utilised the gradient tool the most as I found it provided more depth to the visuals that I needed. 

Figure 2.1.6 Elements Created

For the McDonald's smiley element, I dissected the original smile from the packaging. Doing this process allowed for me to learn how the Smiley could have been created. 

Figure 2.1.7 McDonald's Smiley Dissection

Next, I found a template which McDonalds had provided during the pandemic for parents to print and create for their children. 

Figure 2.1.8 McDonald's Happy Meal Template

Then, I printed out my templates for mockup testing.

Figure 2.1.9 Mockups

As I was happy with the outcome, I decided to use these as the final dielines. Then, I created the lines in Illustrator. 

Figure 2.1.10 Creating lines

Then, I input all my content:

Figure 2.1.11 Final Dieline 

For the typeface, I used the Omnes family due to its round features which I thought felt softer than most Sans Serifs, which complemented the softer look I was aiming for. 

Next, I went to Angel Printing House to print. 



Figures 2.2.1-2.2.3 Printing Outcome

As the only day I could've gone was Saturday, I couldn't request for them to cut it as well as they close early on Saturdays. Hence, I started a journey of cutting and folding each of them myself. 

First, I tested the best way to score + fold them as I did not work with this material previously. 


Figures 2.2.4 Learning to Score

Overall, the fries material was easier as it was thinner despite me asking the printing house to make both the same material. (However, it should be noted that I was informed the printing house had to use vinyl for the interior of the box). I found that both looked way better when I had scored. As I didn't have proper scoring materials, I opted using my metal ruler. 

Then, I hand cut all the dielines.



Figures 2.2.5-2.2.7 Cutting

Then, I folded all of them:


Figure 2.2.8-2.2.9 Folded

After I was satisfied, I took images of my packaging:

Figure 2.2.10 Packaging Shots

After I was done, I created my slides for my submission. I used a SlidesGo template to do so.

Figure 2.2.11 Slides


FINAL SUBMISSION


FEEDBACK

Week 07

Mr Shamsul advised me to talk about animals which are extinct in Malaysia. He also stated for me to narrow it down, and to not to have too much interactivity as it can create confusion. He told me to choose between colouring or reading. 

Week 08

For my sketches, Mr Shamsul asked me to make the face of the Sun Bear the main thing and use the handles to represent the ears as the ears element can be quite repetitive. When I showed him an update sketch I did in class, he said that it looked much better. 


REFLECTION

Experience

This experience has been a really interesting one. I think my main obstacle was the printing+cutting process as it is still new to me. However, I do think that this has proved to be really helpful as I could to learn about the many materials which is in the packaging and printing industry. 

Observation

As I got to observe many designs of packaging through this exercise. Observing my classmates works was able to allow me to see how their processes worked, and it really opened my mind to new ways to do things. For example, my friend, Adeline, had created one which involved shapes which was really intriguing to me!

Findings

I found out the many ways of folding and cutting through this exercise. As I didn't have the luxury of the lasercut, I had to manually learn the best way to do it. Even though we have lectures about it, nothing beat doing it myself to truly learn. 



Popular Posts