Intercultural Design: Final Task


WEEK 06 - WEEK 08 (07/02/2022 - 25/02/2022)
Adena Tan Sue Lynn (0345769) / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Intercultural Design
Final Task: Research & Reflect Final Project


Directory


Lecture

09/02/2022 [Wednesday]

Deadline: 25th February 2022 (Friday), Time will be discussed. Might be recorded presentation (not decided yet), details will be released soon.

Research question asking. get exact data. Match from research questions and objective. 

Question/obj, research/data collection if it doesnt match w assumption, now presented w new set of data. Transitioning to final project, what do you think is the most important part? Summarize all the info in ur hold now. As a group, think about the message you are trying to convey to the audience about the topic you are pursuing. 

That one message will determine the output that will be communicated to the audience. 

Thought Process:
Finalise message in 1/2 sentences > As a group, look at best medium to communicate this message to our audience > That's it

No limitation digitally or physically. 

Need to have short rationale for particular medium used. It will help lecturer understand the reason for the medium chosen. Also, no word limit.



Instructions


We established our outcome. Below are the details for our chosen outcome, an art book, that we set out before our next meeting. 

Figure 1.1.1 Screenshot of art book details

Our first meeting after submitting Task 02 was 09/02/2022 [Wednesday]. Below is the meeting minutes.

Below are the sketches which I had shown the group. 

Figure 1.1.2 & 1.1.3 Sketches Shown

I also showed them the write up I did for my characters. Below is the screenshots of what I wrote. 


Figure 1.1.4 & 1.1.5 Screenshots of Write Up

For easier reference, now the progress will be sorted according to the persona.

Eirias [Persona 09]

Choosing Persona 09 whose prompt was, "A personification of someone you want to be".

When creating them, I knew I wanted a unique character, but also make them seem like they could change their entire appearance at any given moment. Something that came from the idea of customising characters, just like you would in games like The Sims, Stardew Valley, Nintendo Miis and more which allows them to get more in tune with their personas.

Eirias' name was simply a different way of pronouncing Alias. Initially, I had just put it through a translator which came up with ã‚¨ã‚¤ãƒªã‚¢ã‚¹ [Ä“riasu] and I liked how it sounded. I also settled with the name by its definition, "an assumed or additional name that a person sometimes uses false or assumed identity".

Figure 1.2.1 Alias Translation

Intro Pages

Below is the progress of lining & shading Eirias' portrait. I decided to omit her eyebrows as I feel like it would provide her great control of her looks as an eyebrow shape can drastically change your appearance.



Figure 1.2.2 - 1.2.5 Progress of Eirias' Portraiture

I also gathered the colour palette from their concept art into a colour palette beside her.
Figure 1.2.6 Eirias' Colour Palette

Concept Art

Below is the sketch I did to get an idea. 

Figure 1.2.7 Initial Eirias Sketch

Below are the colour palettes which I had chosen to use for this piece. 

Figure 1.2.8 - 1.2.11 Colour Palettes

Next, below is the progress of lining & colouring the concept art. 




Figure 1.2.12 - 1.2.18 Eirias' Concept Art Page

The background was loosely inspired by Stardew Valley's customisation page. It's simple, but gets the point across easily. 

Figure 1.2.19 Stardew Valley Customisation

As for the masks, it was done with subtle intentions. The mouse/bear on the right was meant to be in reference to how some people use animals as their persona. For the mask on the left, I wanted it to be an 'evil' to it. However, the nose was slightly inspired by Shrek. The two in the middle are a generic, showing how Eirias does enjoy the beautification of personas. 

Eirias' Content

Figure 1.2.20 & 1.2.21 Eirias' Content 

The fun about personas is that everyone can have as many personas as they’d like. Eirias has the ability to change their face whenever they please, allowing them to be a different being when online. That’s the gift bestowed upon them; being whoever they want to be anytime.

Never sticking to one persona, they transform whenever they find a persona they enjoy. Coming up with different aliases, changing their appearance. Forever changing.

Without their masks, Eirias is identifiable with their eyebrows or lack thereof. Their cool & focused persona is what draws people to them, and they take pride in that. 


Blume [Persona 10]

Based on the prompt, "A sort of 'alter-ego' allowing the person in question to be more free, escaping from their current & real 'persona' they are everyday.

The main idea was someone who was child-like and seemed pure. Just like how childhood is like, where we don't have to worry about money or jobs, living in the moment and enjoying every second of it. 

Blume's name was inspired by a fanfiction I once read, where the main character used an alias, Sunny Blume, in reference to what her ex-lover called her, Sunflower. In the fanfiction, it was stated that Blume was German for flower, which led to Blume's name. I felt like it felt perfect due to the blooming and exciting feeling I get whenever I play games. 

Figure 1.3.1 Flower Translation

Intro Pages

In my first sketch of her, I thought she looked really off, so I redid a sketch of her. Below is the process of how I shaded her.


Figure 1.3.2 - 1.3.5 Process of Blume's Portraiture.

I also gathered the colour palette I used for her concept art to put into a colour palette beside her.

Figure 1.3.6 Blume's Colour Palette

Concept Art

Below was the sketch I did to convey my idea.

Figure 1.3.7 Initial Sketch

Below were the colour palettes I decided to use for Blume's art.



Figure 1.3.8 - 1.3.10 Colour Palettes

Below is the process of lining the concept art. 

Figure 1.3.11 & 1.3.12 Blume's Line-Art

Then, I proceeded to colour. The process is as shown:



Figure 1.3.13 - 1.3.15 Blume's Colouring Process

Initially, I wanted a border to secure bloom into the frame, but I thought it would be more fitting to make it a 'false border' to further enhance the 'escape' from her everyday life, which is signified by the door. The usage of blue is to show that she's online, like how many gamers tend to have futuristic light colours in their set ups.

Blume's Content

Figure 1.3.16 & 1.3.17 Blume's Content

A sort of "alter-ego" allowing the person in question to be more free, escaping from their current & real "persona" they are every day.

For many, turning on your computer feels freeing. Being able to escape into any gaming world imaginable. It allows people to have various exciting experiences, all from the comfort of their own houses.

Blume, which means flower in German, represents players’ blooming feeling when they play video games. She aims to show the freedom and escape from everyday life for players. Leaving the real world which can be stressful and tiring, escaping to the endless joys where they can fully be themselves. 

Elle [My own persona]

Nowadays, I do have my own personas, such as Dubu or Moonlight, but I wanted to highlight an old persona of mine which helped me tremendously when I was younger.

At the age of nine, I was extremely insecure, due to my weight and my skin tone (as I used to tan easily). My grandparents on my father's side would forever point out my insecurities, comparing me to my cousins. I think you could call it fate, finding out about the game, Ameba Pico, which was on Facebook at the time. 

Originally, I just had my Chinese name as my character's name, but I had found a YouTuber, WhatsUpElle, which I adored when I was younger. This led to me naming my persona after her. Later on, I would name my character Lora Elle, but Elle always stayed as my persona's main name.

Figure 1.4.1 Obtained from my Facebook Gallery

Intro Page

This is the progress of shading Elle's portraiture.



Figure 1.4.2 - 1.4.5 Process of Elle's Portraiture

Then, I got a mini colour palette of her for the intro page.

Figure 1.4.6 Elle's Colour Palette

Concept Art

Below is the sketch I had. I wanted to show the comfort which Elle had provided me, allowing me to learn how to talk to others and make friends without caring about what I looked like. 

Figure 1.4.7 Elle's Sketch

For the colour palette, I used some colours from Eirias' colour palette as well as the ones below.

Figure 1.4.8 & 1.4.9 Colour Palettes

Then, I lined the sketch and coloured.



Figure 1.4.10 - 1.4.15 Elle's Process

Elle's Content

Figure 1.4.16 & 1.4.17 Elle's Content

Created on the game, Ameba Pico, in 2011. Elle served as a mask to allow me to talk with others around the world. Her name was based on a YouTuber I watched at the age of nine; WhatsUpElle. 

At age 9, I was extremely insecure about how I looked. Elle provided me a way to engage with others without worrying about their opinions of me. I just had my personality, and the choice to change my looks at any moment. 

The iconic Elle feature was the beige wig I always had equipped. 

Final Submission:

Final Outcome:

https://heyzine.com/flip-book/65840ed197.html

Presentation:





Feedback

14/02/2022 [Week 07]

Ms Anis provided us with feedback today, "Follow the style you have right now. What do these sketches or person represent. Would make a more cohesive book. It’ll make more sense when people read through your stuff. Make sure you have a consistent layout design."

21/02/2022 [Week 08]

Ms Anis gave us feedback on Discord, to have a consistent layout design. Refer to Canva templates to accommodate the work. 


Reflection

Overall, I am very happy to have been able to work with the people I did to create this outcome. I was able to learn so much about one of the cultures which I thought I knew a lot about, but was so surprised when I was welcomed with so much more insightful information than I expected. 

I am very pleased to also be able to learn the process of how to make an art book while incorporating information into it. It'll definitely help me in the future if I ever need to do this again.


References

Merriam-Webster. (n.d.). Alias Definition & Meaning. Retrieved from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alias.

Picture Credits

Figure 1.1.1 - Screenshot from Discord.
Figure 1.2.1 - Papago. (n.d.). Alias Translation. Retrieved from https://papago.naver.com/?sk=en&tk=ja&hn=0&st=Alias.
Figure 1.2.19 - Retrieved from https://simgamescorner.com/stardew-valley/.
Figure 1.3.1 - Google Translate. (n.d.). Flower Translation. Retrieved from https://translate.google.com/?sl=en&tl=de&text=flower&op=translate

Popular Posts