Digital Photography & Imaging: Week 04

WEEK 04 (13/09/2021)
Adena Tan Sue Lynn (0345769)
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Digital Photography & Imaging 
 

Lecture

Adjustment Layer

Groups of super useful, non-destructive image editing tools. They add colour and tonal adjustments to images without permanently changing its' pixels. With these adjustment layers, adjustments can be edited or discarded at any time. It allows more flexible and efficient workflow in Photoshop.

Figure 1.1 Adjustment Layers

When adding an adjustment layer, a new layer and a Properties panel specific to the type of adjustment will pop up. The Properties panel allows for modification of the adjustment layer which will modify your image.

Figure 1.2 Adjustment Layers

1. Brightness / Contrast
  • Makes adjustments to the tonal range of your image
  • Brightness slider - Adjusting highlights in image
    Contrast slider - Adjusting shadows in image

2. Level
  • Modifies tonal values in an image by adjusting the levels of the shadows, midtones & highlights
  • Most used tools in the adjustment layer panel

3. Curves
  • Lets adjust as many points as you want throughout the entire tonal range of image
  • Most powerful & precise tool for editing the tones in an image

4. Exposure
  • Lets adjust exposure levels 
  • Exposure - Highlights
    Offset - Mid tones
    Gamma - Shadows

5. Selective Colour
  • Selectively modifies the amount of a primary colour without modifying the other primary colours

Filters

Using filters to edit photos is essential of Adobe's graphics editor. They can change colours, add blur or create completely new image effects. Photoshop offers a virtually unlimited variety of filters for this purpose.


Practical

This was chosen as the best composition from my three compositions last week. When choosing the pictures I wanted to use, I wanted to use images with people, allowing me to choose the photo of the fencer as well as the photo of people at the train station. Then I chose the factory as it intrigued me. Finally, I chose the mountain as I found it ironic to include a nature element among the three man-made elements. 

Figure 2.1 Chosen composition

Before editing, I looked at my collage and knew I wanted to make the pink stand out and the overall mood even cooler to emphasise the photo of the mountain.

Firstly, I adjusted the levels.

Figure 2.2 Added level

Figure 2.3 Level

Then, I decided to play with the hue and saturation.

Figure 2.4 Added Hue/Saturation

Figure 2.5 Master

Figure 2.6 Reds

Figure 2.7 Yellow

Third, I adjusted the colour balance within the photo.

Figure 2.8 Added colour balance

Figure 2.9 Colour balance

Finally, I slightly adjusted the curve graph.

Figure 2.10 Added curve

Figure 2.11 Curve Graph

Below is the final product.

Figure 2.12 Final Product




Feedback

17/09/2021 (Friday): Mr Fauzi left a comment on my submission, "That's a good practice. You may choose the WEEK 4 exercise for your PROJECT 1: Digital Collage later in Week 5. Thanks!"

Popular Posts